Cinema 100, the Bismarck-Mandan Film Society, is opening its 2012 film series with the world premier of Teen Writes: The Group That Opened the Box, a documentary about the experiences of a teen writing and performance group.
The fifty-six minute film will be given a free public showing at the Sidney J. Lee Auditorium on the campus of Bismarck State College, the site of three of the group’s public performances, one of the titles of which was Shhhhhhhhh!
The premiere will take place on Thursday, January 12 beginning at 7 p.m. The filmmakers Kyja Kristjansson-Nelson, Karen Van Fossan, and Kathy Blohm will be attending the premiere and will be available during the discussion time following the film. Director Krisjansson- Nelson lives in Fargo and is on the faculty of the film studies program at Moorhead State University.
Sponsoring organizations for the premiere are Cinema 100, BSC Theater, Bismarck State College Diversity Team, Dakota West Arts Council, ND Council on the Arts, Chambers & Blohm Psychological Services. Funding sources for the film project included Cinema 100, Open Meadows Foundation, Dakota West Arts Council, City of Bismarck, ND Council on the Arts and the P Fund Foundation. The views represented in the film are those of the film participants not necessarily of the sponsoring or funding organizations. Also, due to the content of the film, parental discretion is advised.
After the premiere event, the Cinema 100 film series continues the following week on Thursday, January 19 with the classic American film from the 1970s Harold and Maude, starring Ruth Gordon. All the subsequent films are shown twice on Thursdays at 3 and 5:30 at the Grand Theater in Bismarck. The season includes 12 films shown at the Grand Theater, the price of a season ticket is $25. Tickets for individual can be purchased at the box office for the regular theater ticket price.
The 12 films of the series are:
- January 19 – Harold and Maude, USA, 1971
- January 26 – The Interrupters, UK, 2011 a documentary
- February 2 – Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Thailand, 2010
- February 9 – The Guard, Ireland, 2011
- February 16 – Meek’s Cutoff, USA, 2010
- February 23 – Fish Tank, UK, 2009, documentary
- March 1 – Tabloid, USA, 2010, documentary
- March 8 – Beginners, USA, 2010
- March 22 – Another Year, UK, 2010
- March 29 – The Tree of Life, USA, 2010
- April 12 – Touching the Void, USA 2003, documentary
- April 19, The Illusionist, UK/ France, 2010
For more information on Cinema 100 and the series see cinema100.com.